See what people are saying about the overnight program:
Historic Ships Overnight Programs
Overnight programs provide an immersive hands-on historic experience with a twenty-first century applicability that encourages team-work, problem solving, and learning. Historic Ships in Baltimore's Overnight Adventures offers groups a unique opportunity to walk in the footsteps of sailors and learn about life aboard a mid-19th century Navy warship, a World War II era Navy Submarine, or a Coast Guard Cutter that witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor, HI. Just as importantly, they have fun!
- Conveniently located in Baltimore's historic and picturesque Inner Harbor and a stone's throw from the National Aquarium, the Maryland Science Center, Harbor Place, and the Civil War Museum
- Program availability: 7 days a week, year-round
- Cost includes two meals (evening & morning), bed (hammock or bunk), all activities, and trained educators
- Programs begin at approximately 5 PM and conclude at 9 AM
- Program cost: $55 per participant. A deposit of 20% of the program's total cost is required to confirm date. The final balance is due no later than 60 days prior to the program date.
- Discounted Program cost in July and August: $45 per participant. A deposit of 20% of the program's total cost is required to confirm date. The final balance is due no later than 30 days prior to the program date.
- 20-participant minimum per event
- Maximum number of participants: USS Constellation (60), USS Torsk (32), USCGC Taney (80)
- Minimum age: 1st grade
- Maximum age: none
- Overnight patches are available through the Education Department and can be purchased on your program or pre-ordered at 410.396.3453
USS Constellation Overnight Adventure
Overnight programs provide individual organizations and groups (20-60 each) an immersive, nineteenth-century, hands-on experience that encourages team-work, problem solving, and learning. The USS Constellation Overnight Adventure offers groups a unique opportunity to walk in the footsteps of sailors and learn about life aboard a mid-19th century, U.S. Navy warship. Participants become Landsmen, USS Constellation’s newest crew members. Overnight recruits “learn the ropes” and quickly develop both a working nautical vocabulary and a familiarity with the basics of life aboard a man-of-war including Civil War-era dining, hands-on activities, and the navy hammock.
Click here to see a You Tube video of Cub Scout Pack 957 cubs from Bristow, Virginia, manning and working one of the ship’s great guns. Gun drills were common fare aboard warships like USS Constellation. So too were hard tack, a turn at the capstan, and pleasant dreams in a berth deck hammock. Sign up your group for a Constellation overnight adventure, and find out first-hand what the real Old Navy was all about.
USS Torsk Overnight Adventure
Overnight programs offer individual organizations and groups (20-32 each) a unique, hands-on experience aboard a WWII fleet submarine. Overnighters learn about things that are absolutely unique to submarines including periscopes, torpedoes, buoyancy and how submarines manage to exist below the surface.
USCGC Taney Overnight Adventure
Overnight programs offer individual organizations and groups (20-80 each) an immersive, hands-on experience aboard a WWII veteran that saw action in the Atlantic and Pacific. Activities encourage teamwork, communications skills, and quick thinking. Overnighters learn first hand about signaling at sea, steam engines and propulsion, shipboard damage control, and navigation.
Damage Control! The ship’s taking on water in an aft compartment and your team must pit its problem-solving and quick thinking against a rapidly worsening situation. Using timbers, wedges, and ideas that may be found only “outside the box,” sign up for this fast-paced, first-hand look at crisis management at sea.
Overnight Information and Forms
The following PDF forms require adobe reader to be opened. If you do not have adobe reader, a free version may be downloaded HERE.
Directions & Parking Information
Overnight Parental Release Form
Overnight Adult Waiver Form
For more information, or to make reservations, please contact:
Historic Ships in Baltimore
Pier 1, 301 East Pratt Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202-3110